Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The ideal land and the ideal life

It has become a ritual now...I feel like blogging every time I feel unwell. Right now, a cold-blooded, sharp, ivory white tooth is tearing through the soft, tender skin of my gums. Gawd, that hurts. I don't think I like/need a wisdom tooth. I was happy (and mostly pain-free)  being an ignorant fool.

Thursday was was the last day of our college techfest. The Guest of Honour was none other than the superlady, Dr. Kiran Bedi. She spoke about two hours, explaining the what/why/when/how of the Jan Lokpal Bill. Sitting there, listening to Kiran Bedi speak, was a surreal moment - just being in the company of someone as interesting and admirable as her can make your day.

She told us about their bill and how it was better than the draft lokpal bill. She gave examples, statistics, ideas and what not. I admit, I don't completely believe in the Jan Lokpal Bill - the cynic in me isn't conviinced that this bill will be the solution we are all looking for. However, now is not the time to check its effectiveness. What this bill gives us is a chance, a chance to change the way things are being dealt with. And that, I whole heartedly believe in.

I may not be able to appreciate the beauty of the draft proposed by IAC, but I can admire the fierce passion with which Dr. Bedi speaks about her motherland. Its a beautiful thing... I wish I cherished something as much as she cherishes her country - that alone would make my life worth living.

In Rushmore, when Herman Blume asked Max his secret, Max said "I think you just gotta find something that you love to do and do it for the rest of your life".

I just hope I find my Rushmore one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment